Student Grievance Procedure

A grievance is defined as a complaint or dissatisfaction occurring when a student thinks that any condition at the College affecting him/her is unjust or inequitable or creates unnecessary hardship. Such grievances include but are not limited to mistreatment by any College employee; discrimination; problems with student or academic services; academic probation, suspension, readmission actions or other academic matters. These grievances do not include matters which have been determined through procedures prescribed in the Student Code of Conduct.

The student is encouraged to seek out the Office of the Ombudsman for guidance on this procedure, exclusions or any other matter of concern. David Paulk is the Student Ombudsman ( / 850-973-9418).


  1. Step One is an oral discussion between the student and the person(s) alleged to have caused the grievance. The student should meet with the person as soon as practical after becoming aware of the condition that is the basis for the grievance. If the student considers the response to this discussion to be unsatisfactory, he/she should initiate the action outlined in Step Two.
  1. Step Two requires the student to submit a written petition within five (5) business days after notification of the Step One decision to the immediate supervisor or department head of the person alleged to have caused the grievance.

    The written petition should include the following:
  • student’s name, local address and phone number
  • name and office of the individual alleged to have caused the grievance
  • detailed statement of the event(s) being petitioned with supporting documentation
  • statement of action previously taken to resolve the issue
  • results of these actions
  • outcome desired by the student

The supervisor or department head will render a written decision to the student within five (5) business days of the date the petition was received or within a time limit mutually agreed upon by both parties.

  1. Step Three allows a student who is not satisfied with the response after completing Steps One and Two the opportunity to present the grievance in written form to the appropriate dean within five (5) business days after receiving notification of the Step Two decision. The student shall be informed of the Step Three decision within (5) work days of the date the petition was filed or within a time limit mutually agreed upon by both parties.

    All petitions filed shall be adjudicated to finality even if the aggrieved is no longer a student at the time of the proceeding.

Complaint Procedure Information

  • Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, Sexual Battery/Assault, Sexual Cyberharassment, Sex Discrimination/Gender-Based and/or Gender-Identity Discrimination, Sexual Misconduct, Stalking, or Sexual Violence, as those terms are defined in NFCC’s Title IX Procedures: Grievances related to any of these acts should be directed to NFCC’s Title IX Coordinator in accordance with NFCC’s Title IX Procedures (Tyler Coody – / 850-973-1639)

  • Discrimination: Grievances related to charges of discrimination due to age, color, sex, religion, national origin, race, creed, marital status, physical or mental disability or equity issues of any kind should be directed to the Equity Coordinator. (Denise Bell – / 850-973-9481)

  • Fees: Grievances concerning the assessment or refund of tuition and fees shall be directed to the Dean of Administrative Services. (Andy Barnes – / 850-973-1604)

  • Student Services: Grievances related to student services shall be directed to the Dean of Enrollment and Student Services (Kay Hogan – / 850-973-1605)

  • Financial Aid: Grievances related to financial aid shall be directed to the Dean of Administrative Services. (Andy Barnes – / 850-973-1604)

  • Parking and Traffic: Grievances related to parking or traffic regulations shall be directed to the Dean of Administrative Services. (Andy Barnes – / 850-973-1604)

  • Contested Grades for Courses: (see appeal procedure found in the Academic Section of the NFCC College Catalog).

The President of the College or designee shall be the final appeal authority but only after the prescribed grievance process has been exhausted. The President or designee shall review the matter and decide what action, if any, should be taken.

All students are encourage to work through the internal complaint and appeal procedures. Students who feel as if their complaint has not been addressed satisfactorily after completing the grievance procedure may contact the Division of Florida Colleges for additional information.

Florida Department of Education
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1544
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400